Since 2011, RefinePro developed training programs for OpenRefine including free online courses, in person or remote courses and individual coaching sessions.
Free Online Course: OpenRefine Foundation
Learn the basics of OpenRefine and data manipulation in only 7 hours. OpenRefine Foundation is a free online course. The course gives students the opportunity to plan their study time around the rest of their day, and learn at their own pace. There are a total of 23 instructional videos split into five challenging lessons:
- Lesson 1: Introduction to OpenRefine shows how OpenRefine will help with your data transformation and integration projects. You will learn about the community that supports OpenRefine and how to install the software.
- Lesson 2: Data Mining & Discovery. Explore data sets to find data quality gaps or information nuggets. Learn how to use facets and filters, how to combine them and sort data better.
- Lesson 3: Data Preparation & Normalization goes in-depth into actual data cleaning including removing duplicates, eliminating typos, splitting cells and using the undo/redo functions.
- Lesson 4: Introduction to GREL. The General Refine Expression Language is OpenRefine’s scripting language; you will learn its syntax and most commonly used expressions for data cleaning.
- Lesson 5: Data Enrichment explains how you can add value to your data by joining data sets together and use third parties services available via API.
Custom Support and Training
1:1 SupportSchedule individual support session for:
- Assistance regarding a specific project or dataset
- Help writing a GREL expression
- Hands-on guidance with the OpenRefine Foundation online course
- Custom training on OpenRefine
Online and on-site workshops
RefinePro offers custom workshops on specific aspects of OpenRefine.
Sessions involve a combination of data transformation theory, OpenRefine walk-through tutorials, and hands-on exercises. Courses can include custom topics or datasets.
RefinePro also offers train the trainer program.
Our webinars focus on industry use cases, specific work-flows, or OpenRefine functionality. Watch a previous webinar: